ØKAD6020 Business in Africa (15 sp)
In this course you will gain insight into the political and economic history of a selection of regions on the African continent. You will also be presented with tools of analysis and risk assessment, and learns to reflect in corporate social responsibility, both from a social and an environmental perspective.
About the course:
Dette emnet undervises på engelsk og beskrives derfor på engelsk.
Emerging African markets present great opportunities for investors. The continent’s population is set to quadruple over the next century, and rapid urbanization, high demand for infrastructure and expectations of technological growth provide ample business opportunities. However, a nuanced outlook on where the best opportunities lie and on-the-ground knowledge is key to capturing this business potential. Political instability and lack of infrastructure present challenges to both local and global actors seeking to grasp the opportunities presented by the afore mentioned trends and the vast natural resources of the continent. In this course the student gains insight into the political an]d economic history of a selection of regions on the African continent. The student is also presented with tools of analysis and risk]In this course you will gain insight into the political and economic history of a selection of regions on the African continent. assessment, and learns to reflect in corporate social responsibility, both from a social and an environmental perspective.
After completing this course, you are expected to have acquired the following learning outcomes:
- has wide knowledge of central historical and contemporary macro trends in regions on the African continent
- can update her/his knowledge on the subject
- knows the history of Norwegian business policies towards the African continent
- knows of, and is capable of, updating her/his knowledge on recent trends pertaining to business in Africa
- can identify and assess relevant information when considering a business opportunity
- is familiar with analytical tools for risk assessment
- is aware of typical risks and rewards when engaging in partnerships and contracts with foreign corporations
- can conduct an analysis of a business proposal from a sustainability point of view
- applies analytical tools for risk assessment when examining investment options
- is sensitive to cultural differences
- can plan and assess a business proposal
- has an insight into relevant ethical challenges pertaining to doing business in Africa
- can identify key challenges and opportunitites associated with business in a particular country and/or region
The requirement must be passed in accordance to given deadline in order to register for the exams.
- written assignment (pass/fail)
This course consists of a 3 hour written exam that constitute the final grade, grading system A-F.